Picture your ideal breakfast. There’s probably some sort of bread
involved in that image. Bread
and breakfast go together like chocolate and milk, a match made in culinary heaven. There are so many options to choose from when it comes to breakfast breads
or breakfast meals involving bread
. Great Harvest of Newtonville
has some tasty bread
and breakfast suggestions for you to try out. Whether you bake your own bread
or a buy bread from the bakery,
you’ll probably want to try them out.
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Strata
Strata is basically a savory bread
pudding, and it’s an inspired breakfast option. It's so versatile and all you need is bread
, eggs, and cheese. You can add any other ingredients you want to satisfy your cravings. The preparation is simple: a layer of bread
, a layer filling, and a layer of cheese, just like making a breakfast lasagna. Treat your family to this super simple ham and cheese strata.
Ingredients for a Ham and Cheese Strata:
Preparation for a Ham and Cheese Strata:
- 12 slices of white bread, cut into small squares
- 1 pound of ham (cooked and cubed)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- 3 cups of milk
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup melted butter
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- Mix all the liquid ingredients (eggs, melted butter, and milk) in a bowl.
- Place half of the bread, half of the cheese mix, and ham into the pan. Repeat layers until you’re done.
- Pour the liquid mix over the layers. Refrigerate overnight or at least for two hours.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350°F.
You can make your own recipe and add veggies, meats, herbs, or your preferred cheese.
Breakfast Bread Boat
A crunchy baguette filled with cheese, bacon, and eggs? Yes, please!
Ingredients for a Bread Boat:
Preparation of a Bread Boat:
- 1 baguette
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk of heavy cream
- 4 ounces cooked bacon bits
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together eggs, milk or cream, bacon, cheese, and onions.
- Carefully cut a long rectangle through the top of the baguette, but don’t cut all the way through. Remove the center strip so that you form a well through the length of the baguette.
- Pour the egg mix into the well and place the baguette on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
If you feel like it, you can add flavorful aromatic herbs or other ingredients. When you go grocery shopping in Newtonville
, be sure to stop at Great Harvest of Newtonville
for your nutritious bakery bread
. Call them up at (617) 928-1162
to learn about their monthly specials. Browse their online store
to place your order and pick it up later. Even if you won’t be using your bread
for breakfast, there are many delicious meals you can prepare with it. You can try some of this great ideas for using stale bread
Maple Oatmeal Muffins
Another thing that screams breakfast is maple, so why not try a sweet muffin recipe to accompany a tall glass of cold milk or a steaming cup of freshly brewed coffee? Top your muffins with some chopped pecans…yummy! The ingredient list may seem long, but it’s super easy.
Ingredients for Maple Oatmeal Muffins:
Directions for Preparing Maple Oatmeal Muffins:
- 1 cup regular rolled or quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ chopped pecans
- Grease or line a 12-muffin tin. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place oats and milk in a medium bowl. Let this stand for five minutes. In another bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and set aside.
- Stir the maple syrup, melted butter, and egg into the oat and milk mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the well of the flour mix and stir. The batter will be lumpy. Fold half of the pecans into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, and sprinkle them with the remaining pecans. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the tops are golden. Let the muffins cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Toad in the Hole
This is a super easy recipe and a super quick breakfast idea. It's a breakfast classic!
Ingredients for Toad in the Hole:
Directions for Preparing Toad in the Hole:
- 2 slices of bread (white or whole wheat)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 eggs
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out the center of each bread slice. Set aside the cut-outs.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with olive oil.
- Over medium-low heat, toast the bread slices and cut-outs until golden. Turn the pieces over auto toast them on both sides.
- Break the eggs into the center of each bread slice. Cover pan and cook until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken a little. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
The Best Bakery in Newtonville
There you have it, four easy bread
and breakfast recipes for you to try out. Head to Great Harvest of Newtonville
to stock up on their delicious bread
options. While you do, why not get a healthy lunch sandwich
too? You can call the bakery
at (617) 928-1162
to learn about their menu or to place an order.