Grilled cheese sandwiches are an American staple. Whether you go for the classic American cheese or you like to experiment with fancy creations, there is something for everyone. There are some rules you must follow to build the perfect grilled cheese, and they will be explored in these post. You will also find a couple of recipes to try out your new skills. Join Great Harvest of Newtonville
, where you can get the freshest bakery bread
in town, in this post for delicious grilled cheese recipes.
The Perfect Grilled Cheese
Some would say that there is nothing to making a grilled cheese. You just stick some cheese between two slices of bread, add some butter and grill it. Those people are wrong, there is so much involved in creating a legendary grilled cheese. It needs to have a crispy, yet soft and buttery bread
crust and the right mix of melty, oozy cheese. These are some of the guidelines of creating this exquisite piece of cheesy heaven.
- It must absolutely be a closed sandwich.
- Cheese is the main ingredient, there might be others but they shall never overwhelm the cheese.
- It needs to be made with sliced bread (no panino or baguette). Head to Great Harvest for fresh bakery bread.
- A Grilled cheese sandwich has to be eaten warm, with thoroughly melted cheese.
- It can’t be baked or fried. It may however, be covered in butter.
- The crust must be golden and crunchy.
When choosing the bread
for your sandwich you need it to be sliced. You don’t want your bread
to have many air bubbles, because the cheese will drip out, or sliced too thick because the cheese simply won’t melt. Those are the only two rules you should follow when picking a bread
. Chef, Jaime Oliver suggests you got for a neutral bread
that goes well with everything. If you feel like getting a fancy sliced bread
, head to your local Great Harvest bakery
For the cheese
, it must definitely be a cheese that can melt. Dry or aged cheese will not melt, but they can be added as extra toppings. So, if it melts it belongs in the sandwich.
Getting the Technique Right
According to the web the secret for a perfect sandwich is griddling the bread
on both sides. Slather two slices with butter to brown, flip them over, add the cheese, close them and butter and brown the other side. The cheese will be between the sides you griddled first.
You should also remember to butter and salt your skillet before you griddle the bread
. Cook the grilled cheese at medium-low heat and let it take it’s time (if you use a higher heat to speed up the process you’ll end up burning the bread
and not melting the cheese.) Eat them while they’re hot.
Now that we’ve got the basic grilled cheese rules, we can actually move on to some tasty recipes. Before you begin you might want to head to Great Harvest
to get your freshly baked supplies. Bakery bread
is much more delicious than the boxed kind. If you need to know about their menu before you go to the bakery
, give them a call at: 978-333-9112.
Bacon and brie grilled cheese with caramelized onions
For the sandwich
For the caramelized onions
- 250 gr cooked bacon
- 100 g sliced brie cheese
- 4-6 slices of bread
- 3 large sliced onions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat a large frying pan and sauté the onions in the olive oil and salt, until golden. Add the red wine vinegar and sugar and let them caramelize.
- Butter the bread on both sides, place the caramelized onions, brie and bacon in one slice and cover with the other slice.
- Grill it until golden brown. Serve warm.
Here's another option for you:
Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- 5 cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- ¼- ½ Buffalo hot sauce (how hot is up to you)
- 1 package dry ranch dressing
- Bread slices
- Sharp, sliced cheddar cheese
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Mix shredded chicken with ranch dressing and buffalo sauce.
- Butter bread on side and brown.
- Turn them over, place the sharp cheddar on a slice, top the cheese with some chicken and crumbled blue cheese and close the sandwich.
- Let the cheese melt and the bread Serve warm!
Come to The Best Bakery
The best and freshest bread
can be found in Great Harvest
. Come get yours, with freshly milled grains, to cook a scrumptious grilled cheese. While you’re here get a dessert too. Call the bakery
to know about there menu options.